Tune in to the first webinar of our series Show Up, Fight Back: Tackling Systems of Oppression in 2020. Laura Hurtado, Executive Director of ActionAid Guatemala, Emmanuel Ponte, campaigner at ActionAid Brazil, and our own campaigner Tristan-Quinn Thibodeau unpack the connections between the fight against land grabs and communities’ struggles for racial justice and freedom from state violence across the Americas.
- In Brazil, lands and forests that traditional communities have worked and lived on for generations in the Cerrado region are being taken and converted into monocrop soybean production for export.
- In Guatamala, community lands are taken and converted into oil palm plantations, sourcing palm oil for multinational agri-foods companies.
- In the United States, COVID-19 has revealed how oppressive and exploitative the U.S. food system is, both to family farmers and to workers.
Use this helpful resource doc to follow along.
- Take action
- Become a sustaining member! Your donation helps us respond quickly and effectively to campaigns like these! As the pandemic, land disputes, and state violence all continue to impact communities on the frontlines of injustice, your support is urgently needed. Can’t give monthly? Choose a one-time donation. Any amount makes a difference.
- Sign our petition to get TIAA out of forests and farmland.
- Sign up to stay connected with us for future actions and webinars.
- Connect with us on social media: