ActionAid USA is the U.S. branch of ActionAid International, which works in more than 50 countries to achieve social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication. We influence U.S. policy and international institutions like the United Nations and elevate marginalized voices in the halls of power. Read our 2018-2020 strategy for more information on the specific issue areas on which we do advocacy, fundraising and communications work.
Job Description, Specifications
Position Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Director of Policy & Campaigns
Positional Purpose: The Communications Manager works closely with the Policy & Campaigns team and the Development team to produce messaging that effectively communicates the ActionAid brand through all appropriate channels to supporters, donors, policymakers, advocates, campaigners and activists.
Salary Range: $65,000-$80,000. This is a collective bargaining unit position and includes a full benefits package including health, life and disability insurance, a retirement plan, and generous paid time off for holidays, vacation, parental and sick leave.
- Continually refine ActionAid USA’s communications strategy, in collaboration with the Director of Policy & Campaigns, Director of Development and the Senior Management Team.
- Manage the implementation of ActionAid USA’s communications strategy, in support of the Policy & Campaigns and Development teams and the organization’s country strategy.
- Manage press outreach, working with the Policy & Campaigns and Development teams and ActionAid USA’s outside earned media consultant.
- Collaborate with the Development team on fundraising campaigns, particularly those targeting individual donors.
- Manage the Digital Communications Officer and support them across aspects of their workplan, including email blasts, social media postings, website management and more.
- Plan and manage the ActionAid USA communications budget with support from the Director of Policy & Campaigns and relevant colleagues.
- Liaise with communications colleagues in ActionAid International’s Global Secretariat and other country offices, assessing ActionAid USA’s capacity to respond to their needs and supporting when feasible.
- Manage relationships with and ensure timely payment for all communications-related external contractors and vendors.
- Direct the production of audiovisual, digital and print content for target audiences in collaboration with colleagues and external vendors.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- At least 3-5 years of experience in communications, ideally in the nonprofit sector
- Experience with strategic planning processes and earned media strategies
- Strong organization and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, anticipate obstacles, and identify ways to navigate challenges
- Ability to connect with people of different backgrounds and communications preferences, including experience working in cross-cultural and multinational contexts
- Familiarity with international development, climate justice, social justice, and poverty issues, and the intersections between them
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice
- Experience with audiovisual content production a plus
- Experience with Salesforce a plus
We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis through July 31, 2021. Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject, please write “[Your Name] – Communications Manager”. Please no phone calls.
Should you not receive any feedback on your application within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
ActionAid USA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity, inclusion and feminist and anti-racist principles. Women, people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply. ActionAid USA staff are unionized under SEIU Local 500 and this position is part of the collective bargaining unit.