Job Title: Development Intern
Location: Remote/hybrid Washington DC
Time: 20 hours/week
Contract Dates: January-June or August 2023 (flexible)
In an ever-changing world where politics of alienation and division seem to dominate the everyday discourse, ActionAid continues to side with people experiencing poverty to dismantle unjust systems. We do this by investing in communities on the frontlines of poverty and injustice in over 45 countries and connecting them with people whose decisions affect their daily lives so that they can claim their rights and bring about lasting change.
ActionAid USA is the U.S. 501(c)(3) branch of ActionAid International. Since 2001, we have advocated in support of U.S. and international policy aimed at elevating marginalized voices in the halls of power. ActionAid USA raises resources in support of ActionAid programs worldwide. Through campaigning and solidarity, we connect local people with decision-makers in the U.S. and on the global stage so they can challenge the government policies and power imbalances that deny them full access to their rights. Using a feminist lens, we bring a global justice perspective to domestic policy work in the United States and provide thought leadership grounded in justice and equity in domestic and international policy spaces.
The Development Intern plays a vital role in supporting ActionAid USA’s mission. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to learn about the sector and ActionAid’s programs through our fundraising work. You will contribute substantially to a small office with a global reach. This is a paid, hourly position working closely with the Development (fundraising) team.
You have the opportunity to tailor this position in a way that best fits your career and/or learning goals. Please indicate in your cover letter what projects and elements of the Development Intern role are most exciting to you.
Objectives of the internship:
- Increase proficiency in specific fundraising disciplines such as donor prospecting, grant writing, cultivation, and stewardship across foundations, corporations, major donors, and individual givers.
- Observe and participate in fundraising operations and decision-making.
- Participate in collaborative meetings and projects between the fundraising, policy, and communications departments.
- Learn about the federated model for an international NGO and interact with colleagues across the globe.
- Foundations & Corporations:
- Prospect research – Support program teams in the U.S. and across the globe to research and identify foundation funders that support the areas of greatest need within the ActionAid federation. Likewise, research corporations that align with ActionAid’s strong ethics and values and help determine which meet our stringent screening processes.
- Grant writing – Write and edit concept notes and proposals to foundation and corporate funders.
- Stewardship – Support grant management.
- Work alongside the Director of Development, Senior Grants Manager, and Senior Partnerships Manager.
- Individual Giving:
- Cultivation and stewardship – write emails and letters and make phone calls to thank donors, update credit card information, and answer questions.
- Prospecting – Support the team using wealth screening tools to assess supporters’ ability and propensity to give to ActionAid USA.
- Work alongside the Senior Major Gifts Officer and Individual Giving Officer.
- Data: Help to maintain donor records.
- Work with the Communications team, as opportunities arise, to participate in social media content development, write blog posts for the website, and support in various departmental tasks.
- Work alongside the Communications Manager and Digital Communications Officer.
- Educational background requires one of the following:
- Currently pursuing or graduated with an undergraduate degree relevant to this position; or
- 1-4 years of substantial experience in policy, campaigns, and fundraising; or
- Any combination of education, experience, and measurable performance that demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of this position
- Demonstrated passion for social justice, climate justice, and gender equality.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to represent complex programs clearly and succinctly and tailor messaging to a variety of audiences.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, particularly working across multiple teams and projects.
- Computer competency, including strong command of Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn a new database; experience with Salesforce or other CRM a plus
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[Your Name] – Development Intern” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls.
ActionAid is an organization that adheres to the principles of feminist leadership. As such, ActionAid USA is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity, inclusion, and feminist and anti-racist principles. Women, people of color, and people who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.