Policy & Development Intern
Location: Washington DC
Time: Part time (2-3 days/week totaling 15 hours/week)
Contract Dates: September 2018 – December 2018, exact dates negotiable
Deadline: Applications considered on a rolling basis
About ActionAid USA
ActionAid USA is a member of the global ActionAid federation, a network of some 25 million people who are committed to advancing social justice and gender equity worldwide. ActionAid believes that we can bring an end to poverty and injustice by investing in local problem solvers – people who are determined and committed, and motivated to change the world around them. That’s why we actively invest in powerful people living in poverty and exclusion in 45 countries around the world; problem solvers who know what’s needed to change lives within their own communities, and have the power to mobilize and inspire others.
About the Position
This dynamic position will support both the policy and development (fundraising) teams to fuel social justice programs in the US and around the world. As an intern, you’ll have the opportunity to learn about a variety of NGO functional roles and contribute substantially to a small office with a global reach. Responsibilities include:
- Researching campaign commitments from a selected list of Congressional candidates on key issues for ActionAid USA, including:
- Climate change, including land and energy related policies
- Food and farming
- Development and humanitarian disasters
- Immigration, migration and refugee policies
- Working on a policy report based on this research for publication in 2019
- Creating content and managing engagement with third-party fundraising platforms
- Developing a digital toolkit for running a fundraiser or campaign for ActionAid, piloting outreach, and providing assistance to groups as needed
- Supporting campaign events, including data entry
- Assisting with donor engagement and donor care, major donor prospecting, event preparation, and networking opportunities.
- Educational background, requires one of the following:
- Currently pursuing or graduated with an undergraduate degree in political science, international affairs, international development, non-profit management, public policy, human rights, women’s rights, peace studies, conflict resolution, a specific region of the Global South, or similar course of study or
- 1-4 years substantial experience in policy, campaigns, and fundraising or
- Any combination of education, experience, and measurable performance that demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of this position.
- Demonstrated passion for social justice, climate justice, and gender equality
- Organized, excellent attention to detail, and able to manage multiple tasks with variable deadlines
- A strong self-starter with good problem-solving skills
- A capable written and verbal communicator, with a talent for summarizing large amounts of information into clear, concise summaries
- A team player, willing to work with and take direction from various members of the team on different projects
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject, please write “[Your Name] – Policy and Development Intern”.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ActionAid USA is part of the ActionAid International federation. ActionAid believes that we can bring an end to poverty by investing in local problem solvers. We know that local people understand their context better than we ever can. They’re determined and committed, and they’re motivated to change the world around them.
That’s why we actively invest in powerful people living in poverty and exclusion in 45 countries around the world. Problem solvers who know what’s needed to change lives within their own communities, and have the power to mobilize and inspire others.
ActionAid USA is a team-based environment and values a diversified workplace. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and don’t discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, or family responsibilities.