ActionAid USA Communications Internship
Job Title: Communications Intern
Location: Washington DC
Time: Full time (5 days/week totaling 40 hours/week)
Contract Dates: February 2019 – December 2019, exact dates negotiable
Deadline: Applications considered on a rolling basis
Purpose of the Position
In an ever-changing world where politics of alienation and division seem to dominate everyday discourse, ActionAid continues to side with people experiencing poverty to dismantle unjust systems. We do this by investing in local problems solvers in 55 countries and connecting them with people whose decisions affect their daily lives, so that they can claim their rights and bring about lasting change.
The Communications Intern plays a vital role in supporting ActionAid USA’s efforts to raise brand awareness through digital communications. This is a paid, hourly position reporting directly to the Communications Manager and sitting within the Policy and Campaigns team.
- Curate, manage and produce shareable content for ActionAid USA’s digital channels including the website, social media, and emails
- Ensure a steady pipeline of both internally and externally produced content for all digital channels that supports the organization’s fundraising and policy efforts
- Manage the front end and back end of the organization’s website, working with the Communications Manager and/or web support to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Collaborate with the fundraising and policy/campaigns teams to set up and manage email communications with supporters
- Upload audiovisual content to shared platforms for use across the ActionAid international federation
- Provide support on graphic design projects as needed
- Provide support on liaising with third-party vendors (e.g. web support, graphic designers, printers) as needed
- Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Demonstrated experience producing creative products for digital platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work within a team with minimal supervision
- Strong organization and attention to detail
- Ability to turn jargon into accessible language
- Willingness to represent ActionAid’s values in messaging and conduct
- Work authorization in the U.S.
- Experience with WordPress or other blogging/website management systems
- Experience with social media management tools
- Experience with basic HTML or CSS
- Experience with digital design and Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Premiere Pro
- An eye for aesthetics
We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis until January 31, 2018. Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject, please write “[Your Name] – Communications Intern”.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ActionAid USA is part of the ActionAid International federation. ActionAid believes that we can bring an end to poverty by investing in local problem solvers. We know that local people understand their context better than we ever can. They’re determined and committed, and they’re motivated to change the world around them.
That’s why we actively invest in powerful people living in poverty and exclusion in 45 countries around the world. Problem solvers who know what’s needed to change lives within their own communities, and have the power to mobilize and inspire others.
ActionAid USA is a team-based environment and values a diversified workplace. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and don’t discriminate based on age, citizenship, color, creed, physical or mental disability, ethnicity, or family responsibilities.